Thursday, May 5

mission jo'burg

tomorrow i'm getting on a plane and moving to johannesburg, south africa. this is a thought i have to repeatedly tell myself to believe it's actually happening…(especially because i'm not completely packed). i've recently given up my job to spend two years in south africa volunteering. on the outside, this move may seem really crazy and/or radical, but on the inside it feels just about right.

because something happened to me.

Love happened. God happened. Christ happened. and i suddenly became very aware of how much meaning i attached to the things that didn't really matter. i found myself too focused on a path to attain individual wealth and success. don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with wanting to be the best you can be, but for me i couldn't answer the question: "what's it all worth?" . i couldn't justify the value of a good education and lots of money if i couldn't use it to make someone's life better.

i was with my grandfather in his last moments on earth. he knew he was dying. he struggled to talk, yet he was so desperate to communicate his love for his family. that was all he wanted to say. he never talked about how great his job was or how sad he was to leave his house. he just wanted to be able to say one last time " i love you all". it became apparent to me then that who we Love and who Loves us is paramount to the human experience.

in the short, fleeting time we spend in this world, what will you count as your greatest achievements?

tomorrow, i'm getting on a plane and moving to johannesburg, south africa because when i asked myself that question, responding with "a PhD, a great career and a really nice house" suddenly seemed utterly inadequate. one of my greatest inspirations in life, Narayanan Krishnan asks a simple question: "what is the purpose of life?" he answers, "to give".

so for me, i'd like my time on earth to be centered around helping people and making a difference. when i get to that point where i have to "take stock" of my life, i want to be able to say i didn't just feel sad about human suffering on this planet, but that i did something about it, no matter the cost.

1 comment:

  1. being in love with the LORD and being in HIS perfect will is THE GREATEST thing! you are in the center of HIS will and HE will amaze you in the days ahead!

    Aunty Lisa

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis