Sunday, May 8

jo'burg

i am here. i am excited. i am ready!

after TWO days of flying/airport trotting/cramped legs from coach plane seats/air sickness i am finally in johannesburg.

it is cold.

for those of you who snoozed during your geography lessons: because of where south africa is, the winter months are from may to july, while summer starts at the end of the year.

the houses aren't insulated. i don't know why. did i mention that i'm cold?

i was greeted at the airport by my wonderful colleagues: Anne and Elise who then took me on a scenic drive from the airport so that i could check out my new city. they also took me grocery shopping and then to the mall to get some essentials.

where i live
i live in a johannesburg suburb called "emmarentia". it's very green and is very close to some ultra-trendy coffee shops, restaurants etc. i'm renting what's called a garden cottage, which is a small separate house on the property of a bigger family home. i'm renting from a wonderful family called the Johnstons who are incredibly kind, loving and accommodating. much to their dismay they discovered that my hot water wasn't working so until the plumber can come in, i am staying in their guest room.

don't worry, i feel safe
although johannesburg is the 3rd most dangerous city in the world (*gasp*) i feel safe in my neighbourhood. it's a strange feeling but the property i live on has high walls, electric barbed wire fencing to the top of the walls and laser beams in the garden which set off an alarm should someone try to get into the yard. my door has a big iron gate and so do my windows. it's a bit bizarre to live feeling so imprisoned, but at least i can go to sleep feeling pretty secure. in fact tonight as i was turning on my laser beams (that's a phrase that'll take a while to get used to!), i hit the alarm button by accident and 15 seconds later armed security guards showed up to make sure everything was ok. 15 seconds!!


here's a view of my street...(click on the image and drag your mouse to view up and down the street)



View Larger Map

Anne and Elise are giving me street-smart tips to avoid car jackings and cellphone/purse muggings. i also have another "street smart orientation" with Babalwa (a friend of Anne's) who's supposed to give me the lowdown from the single, black female perspective ;) much of my job will involve me going into what's called "informal settlements" to meet with people so learning to stay safe is a big priority for my "settling into joburg" activities.

my bosses are currently in the US on a speaking tour and so i have use of all their furniture, household items and car until they get back. this worked out perfectly because everything was already set up for me when i arrived. now all i have to do is unpack…the only thing i hate more than packing.

it's hard to form an impression of johannesburg having been here for all of two days. but i am here, i am excited and i am ready!

6 comments:

  1. You shall do very well my dear. I an excited for you as you venture into this new realm of your life and this Faith Walk you stepped into. Bless You!

    Here with you on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to read this, Cor! Sounds exciting already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited to hear more about your experiences in Jo'burg. I wish I could be as brave as you to venture into something this big and challenging!

    Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks everyone!
    @Drea, but of course you can! and that's the whole point of this Blog really, to inspire others to find one small thing that you can do. one of my favourite quotes is "true generosity is not measured by how much you give, but by how much you leave back for yourself." so we should never measure what we do in proportion to what others are doing, but in proportion to what we can give. stay tuned for my Blog posts on little things that make a big difference :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - what an adventure. This is sure to be a year that you will remember forever.

    stephanie@metropolitanmama.net

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis